Tuesday, December 13, 2011

my first design job

Since I graduated high school I have had the opportunity to work for an amazing designer, Kevin Stephens of Kevin Stephens Design Group. I worked for him for close to 2 years and I learned a lot about design, construction, project management, budgeting, and how to deal with clients. I mean A LOT. Everything I did was hands on, and I soo appreciate that experience.


As I research the moves I need to make over the next few years, I realize how important on the job experience is. Its actually a required from the NCIDQ to have a certain amount of work hours under your belt before you can even take the exam to be accredited. Which is awesome because I am half way there!  Well I thought I would share some of what I used to do for Kevin Stephens Design Group, and what I loved about it.


FYI - Kevin remodels historic homes in a very modern way, and also builds new modern lofts (among other things) I was his assistant/project manager/office manager...and a bunch of other stuff..




One thing I loved was that we took these old historic homes with so much charm and character and brought them back to life in a new and exciting way! I grew up in an older home in a historic neighborhood, so this is dear to my heart.



Look at the transformation! We debated on that pink marble tile for a while...but we decided it could stay. Its kinda cool right? 





This one was a HUGE transformation. This kitchen was outdated and all wrong from a space planning perspective. He reconfigured the whole space. Custom walnut cabinets, quartz counter tops, stainless appliances, and marble flooring :) Love it!



These light fixtures were all picked out by yours truly :) I think they are awesome and I found them at a fraction of the cost!



Basically he was purchasing all his fixtures at top dollar and it was getting insane. I found tons of great money saving finds! I can do that for you too (quick plug). 



Everything was carefully selected down to the square pop up drains :) 

I loved that job and thank you so much to Kevin for the opportunity! I will always have a great deal of respect for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment